When you have a lot of waste that needs to be disposed of efficiently and quickly, it can be difficult to decide the best way to get rid of it. Hiring a skip has been a popular option for many years, but is it really the most effective and cost-efficient solution? In this article, we will compare the pros and cons of hiring a skip versus hiring professional clearance services to help you make an informed decision.
What Type Of Clearance Do You Need?
Before you begin to consider whether hiring a SKIP or professionals would be more beneficial, you should evaluate your current position. If you have furniture pieces and other general household wear, hiring professional clearance services to manage the space will be more beneficial. On the other hand, if you have bricks, wood, plasterboard or other building materials, SKIP hire will likely suit your needs better.
Should I Hire A SKIP?
SKIP hire is perfect for those looking to store and dispose of waste without having to leave your property. We recommend SKIP hire for homeowners looking to clear their space after an extension or renovation. You can then simply collect the materials, placing them in a SKIP to be collected. Hiring a SKIP is not cheap, with the typical hire cost ranging from £60 – £400 based on the size.
Should I Hire Professionals?
Hiring professionals is more common for homeowners looking to create more space in their home. Professionals such as ourselves at Greenleaf Clearance can arrive onsite providing a range of clearance services that include, collecting, transporting and disposing of your waste. You can start planning on what you want to do with the new space! It can be difficult to put a price on the cost of hiring professionals as most companies will offer bespoke quotes based on the items, manpower and time the job will require.
The Pros & Cons Of Both
Advantages of SKIP Hire:
- Convenient waste disposal from home, especially for large amounts of raw materials or general waste.
- Eliminates the need for multiple trips to council waste disposal sites or dumps, saving time and effort.
- Ideal for disposing of building materials and debris after renovations or property alterations.
Disadvantages of SKIP Hire:
- Expensive, with the average 1.6m x 1.2m x 1.2m SKIP costing around £200 – £250 per week.
- Manual loading of rubbish can be time-consuming and physically demanding.
- Possibility of choosing the wrong size SKIP, resulting in either wasted space or the need to hire another one.
Advantages of Professional Clearance Companies:
- Equipped with knowledge, expertise, and a team of professionals to efficiently clear your waste.
- Have suitable transportation to remove and dispose of collected items and waste.
- Flexible in covering various areas and can provide bespoke quotes for costs and time scale.
Disadvantages of Professional Clearance Companies:
- Not all clearance companies are legitimate, and some may illegally dump your waste (fly-tipping), resulting in fines and legal issues.
- It’s important to check the company’s licences and insurance before hiring them to avoid potential problems. You can read our guide on What To Look For When Hiring A Clearance Company for more information.
Greenleaf Clearance – London House Clearance
As one of the leading house clearance companies in Surrey and surrounding counties, our expert team at Greenleaf Clearance can arrive on site and complete your clearance needs in no time! Get in touch with us on 07884 082197 or fill out a contact form here. With 10 lorries on standby, you could be our next job.